SumOfUs is a global movement of consumers, investors, and workers standing together to hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new, sustainable and just path for our global economy. With a team of 35 campaigners, technologists, media fanatics, data geeks, and strategists in 10 countries, SumOfUs has mobilized over 10 million people to take part in more than 50 million collective actions. Through building partnerships, SumOfUs follows the lead of on-the-ground activists and organizers. By working with humility and humor, and investing in its people and systems, SumOfUs aims to build the most effective, diverse, and talented global team possible.
About the Role
This is an exciting opportunity for a visionary, entrepreneurial, creative, and energetic leader who wants to make a significant difference in improving our global economy and make an impact in people’s lives. You will lead the SumOfUs team and community to hold corporations accountable and challenge corporate power through digital engagement, innovative campaigning, and strategic coalition building. With organizational leadership experience and a keen understanding of digital media and/or campaigning, you are an excellent communicator, fundraiser, and networker who enjoys inspiring others to action. Above all, you have a deep commitment to global economic justice.
Focus of Role
- Vision and Strategy.
- Global relationships and communications.
- Leadership and governance.
- Innovation and excellence: pushing SumOfUs to be the best it can be, with long-term impact, adapting to a changing world.
Vision and strategy
- Develop a compelling, forward-looking organizational vision.
- Relentlessly champion that vision inside and outside the organization.
Global relationships and communications
- Build the public profile of SumOfUs and the profile of the Executive Director in partnership with the Communications Director.
- Make use of earned media to achieve the goals set by SumOfUs.
- Broker strategic relationships with partners and coalitions to broaden the impact of SumOfUs.
- Ensure that SumOfUs has the resources to execute and grow.
- Expand and cultivate relationships with foundations and major donors.
Leadership and governance
- Set high-level priorities for the team.
- Uphold a data-driven, impact-focused culture.
- Manage and delegate to a world-class staff: coach (and hold accountable) a senior team responsible for excellence in recruiting, management, budgeting, accounting, compliance, day-to-day campaign leadership, and more.
- Work with the Board of Directors to grow the Board, maximize the Board’s value to the team’s work, and ensure good governance.
- Provide leadership in creating an organizational culture of anti-oppression.
Skills and Qualifications
All roles at SumOfUs require you to be:
- Multi-talented and willing to learn and do anything to see the job through.
- Comfortable in fast-moving work environments.
- Dedicated to building a fairer and more sustainable global economy.
- Able to travel internationally.
- Fluent in written and oral English.
For this role in particular, you will be required to have:
- An ambitious, compelling vision for SumOfUs and a demonstrated track record of converting your visions to reality.
- Expertise in either online organizing and campaigning, and/or market-based and corporate accountability campaigns.
- Passion and interest for using technology to create change.
- Demonstrated success building and leading large, diverse teams, including distance and diversity management.
- Experience managing budgets in the range of USD $1-10 million and beyond.
- Deep understanding of global politics and demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and anti-oppression.
- Demonstrated talent as a media spokesperson and/or in public speaking.
- Experience building effective partnerships and coalitions with advocacy and activist groups.
- The ability to fundraise effectively from high-net-worth individuals and foundations.
How to Apply
Applications must be addressed to Mission Talent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating
SOU-ED/+your surname in the subject line.
To apply for this role, kindly attach your CV (in English) and a motivation letter (of 350 words or less) which summarizes how your profile aligns with the key requirements, skills and abilities of this role. Please send these to us as Word files only.
After submitting your application you will receive an automatic confirmation. If you do not receive this (check your spam folder as well), please contact Mission Talent via email@example.com or via phone: +49 30 76 77 52 75.
Deadline: 15 June 2016
Starting Date: Negotiable